For over 5 years, we've worked with some of the UK's biggest institutions helping them communicate more effectively with their audience.
We recognise the urgent need for people's attitude and behaviours towards digital media to change.
We are now committed to helping every organisation in the UK and around the world to reduce carbon emissions emanating from their digital media, starting with their websites.
How are we doing this?
Firstly, we aim to educate as many people as possible about the highly polluting nature of the internet.
This is because the internet, from the devices we use, to the networks and data centres needed to send, store and retrieve data, requires electricity.
And for the most part, that equates to CO2.
When you factor in the resources it took to create this infrastructure - and will take to upgrade it - you can start to see how it is that if the internet was a country, it'd be the world's 6th largest polluter!
Next, we want to promote good digital habit formation. There are many excellent articles about what we can all do. This article was written by Shrinker's very own Smita Amlani.
The image below was taken from Swiss company, Climate Care.
Next, we are promoting the use of "sustainable web development" practice for all new websites being created.
If you're creating a new website you should want it to have the smallest CO2 impact possible. There is a lot lot of great advice available - some of it will require coding skills, whilst other parts can be attempted by anyone with some IT literacy.
However, if you already have a website, what can you do to make it more eco-friendly?
Finally, we have developed the following steps for every organisation already operating a website:
1) Understand the problem
2) Evaluate the size of your website's CO2 contribution
3) Implement action plans to reduce CO2
4) Re-evaluate and measure the effects
5) Communicate the changes
How we help you, step by step:
1) We encourage you to read our website and research as much as possible about the polluting nature of the internet.
2) We provide a website benchmarking service in the form of comprehensive "Website Carbon Reduction Reports."
3) Within our report are contained a host of recommendations specific to your website. We provide several possibilities of how you can implement them.
4) Once the recommendations have been implemented, we will perform a 2nd report to measure the decrease in CO2 emissions of your website.
5) We provide a 'badge of honour' to be displayed on your website. We also recommend you create a sustainability page to show your customers the steps you have taken to improve your site's eco-friendliness. After all, you are helping the user to save money on their electricity bills, too.
To start reducing the CO2 emissions of your website and to commission a Website Carbon Reduction report, click on the link below:
or call sales on:
+44 7789 643 020